Aemet has activated the health warnings between July 19 and 23 in different municipalities on the islands of Gran Canaria, Tenerife, La Palma and Fuerteventura, due to high temperatures.
The maximum temperatures over the next few days in these municipalities will be around 32°C and the minimum temperature will be 24°C.
Red notice (high risk) :
- Gran Canaria: from July 19 to 23 in Santa Lucía de Tirajana.
Orange Warning (Medium Risk) :
- Gran Canaria: from July 20 to 23 in La Aldea de San Nicolás, Artenara, Mogán, San Bartolomé de Tirajana and Tejeda. From July 20 to 22 in Agüimes, Ingenio, Valsequillo and Vega de San Mateo.
- Tenerife: from July 20 to 22 in Arona, Granadilla de Abona and San Miguel de Abona.
Yellow Notice (Low Risk):
- Gran Canaria: July 20 and 21 in Santa Brígida.
- Tenerife: July 20 and 21 in Adeje. On July 21 and 22 in Fasnia, Güímar and Vilaflor. On July 21 in Arico, La Orotava and Santiago del Teide.
- La Palma: on July 21 in Breña Alta, Fuencaliente and Tazacorte.
- Fuerteventura: on July 21 in Betancuria, Pájara and Tuineje.
The General Directorate of Public Health also gave a list of warnings and advice to keep in mind during these days of high temperatures:
- Drink plenty of water or fluids without waiting to feel thirsty, unless there is a medical contraindication. Avoid alcoholic and very sugary drinks.
- Avoid exposing yourself to the sun during the hours of greatest heat intensity (between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.), preferably before 11 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
- In the hottest hours, stay in the coolest areas of the houses or residences, or, where appropriate, place ventilation or air conditioning devices, or use fresh damp cloths or take a shower.
- Avoid sports activities, excursions or visits in the hottest hours. Carry out these activities in the early hours of the day, in the late afternoon or at night.
- Eat light meals that help replenish the salts lost through sweat (salads, fruits, vegetables, gazpachos, or juices).
- If you have to go outside, try to be in the shade, wear light and light-colored clothing, protecting yourself from the sun with hats or caps and sunglasses. Wear cool, comfortable, breathable shoes.
- Be careful with medications, especially those that must be in the refrigerator for proper storage.