Every island or the Canaries has its own carnival season and in El Hierro the main event happens in La Frontera, in the area Tigaday, the most commercial part of town.
This year in the carnival will participate over 10 groups and floats and an orchestra and DJs will keep the party atmosphere going in the evenings and during the costume parade.
A bit about the history and the traditions of Los Carneros
The tradition for the Carnival in El Hierro is that the local young people get dressed up in costumes made of rams skins and they have to go on the streets to scare people or make them laugh. Los Carneros, as they are called, also go after the people on the streets and paint their faces bitumen. The origins of this tradition are closely linked with the history of pastoral life in El Hierro. The island used to have many shepherds and for many years this used to be a very important occupation for locals. They still honor their history by keeping alive this tradition during the carnival days.
La Frontera Carnival 2017
Dates for the La Frontera Carnival in El Hierro: 25 February - 1 March 2017
The theme for the carnaval this year is The Future, so if you should bring your most inventive and futuristic costume if you want to stand out in the crowd.
Schedule for the events in La Frontera:
25 February 2017
- Coso de Carnaval at 17:00, starting from Las Ramblas
- Music and dancing, starting at 21:00 in Calle Tigaday
26 February 2017
- Salida de Los Carneros, at 17:00, Calle Tigaday
27 February 2017
- Day Time Carnival at Tigaday Square: in the morning activities for children and music and concerts in the evening
28 February 2017
- Salida de Los Carneros, at 17:00, Tigaday Streets
1 March 2017
- Quema del "Machango", 19:00, from Merese Square