Fiestas de La Pena 2017 in Fuerteventura
Fiesta de la Pena 2017: 9 - 24 September 2017
Celebrated in Vega de la Rio Palmas
Like every September, a complex program of activities has been prepared in Fuerteventura in order to celebrate Nuestra Senora la Virgen de La Peña.
During this period Fuerteventura is celebrating its patron saint and during these days there will be many religious ceremonies, as well as opportunities to enjoy a good time, culminating with the pilgrimage and Romeria de la Pena on September 15th.
Romeria de la Pena - 15 September 2017 - Patron Saint of Fuerteventura (bank holiday)
The day of Romeria de la Pena is considered an insular festivity so it's classed as a bank holiday and most businesses are closed (including supermarkets and most shops).
As it is the custom, locals will gather and do the pilgrimage through Barranco de Betancuria up to Vega de la Rio Palmas, which will start at 17:30 h on September 15th.
See what you can expect in terms of weather in Fuerteventura in September
Most locals who come to celebrate La Pena will participate in this walk up to Vega de la Rio Palmas, but it is a fairly long walk and it can prove difficult especially on hot days.
If you plan on walking in order to take part in the Romeria de la Pena, be careful at drunk people and don't go alone, it's better to go with company.
You can also go by car as there is a parking place in Rio de la Vega Palmas, but it gets super crowded very early in the day, so if you plan to arrive in the evening you will most likely not find a place to park.
Friday, 15 September 2017, the traffic in Vega de Rio Palmas will be interrupted between 21:00 and 03:00 the next day.
There's also the option to arrive by bus, as there are special bus lines for Romeria de la Pena.
Below you can see the bus schedule for La Pena 2017:
La Pena 2017 in Fuerteventura - Schedule
There are also different activities planned in the days before the Romeria de la Pena and you can see the entire schedule here, on the website of the Council of Betancuria.
The main fiesta, called Romeria de la Pena, is celebrated on Friday, September 15th and if you want to participate in one of the most important traditions in Fuerteventura, you can make the hike along all the other participants, or take the bus to Rio de Vega Palmas.
It's not advisable to arrive by car, as the traffic will be stopped due to the large crowds.
- Best Apartments & Villas in Fuerteventura: Corralejo Rooftop Terrace Apartment (perfect for couples) • Exclusive Villa with Heated Pool (family villa, ocean view)
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Popular hotels in Fuerteventura: Dunas Club Apartments 3* (Corralejo) • Hotel Ereza Mar 4* (Caleta de Fuste)
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Fuerteventura
- Join Fuerteventura Forum on Facebook for more tips about the island.
- Best Daytrips & Excursions: Oasis Wildlife Fuerteventura • Fuerteventura 3-Hour Dune Buggy Tour