Gran Canaria has announced the dates and more details regarding the carnival in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, including the theme and the competition for the poster.
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Carnival Dates: February 15th - March 10th 2019
Carnival theme for the event in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria: A Night in RIO
The theme for the 2019 event was chose by public vote on the online platform of the carnival and the options were: A Night in RIO, Versailles and Music.
So in 2019 get ready for an exotic and sensual party, full of colours inspired by the beautiful Brazil!
Schedule and main events:
- 21 February: Adult Costume Competition - at 21:00 h
- 23 February: Vegueta Carnival
- 24 February: Canine Carnival at 12:00 h and Daytime Carnival in Santa Catalina at 15:00 h
- 1 March: Queen Gala at 21:00 h and Carnival Night at 22:00 h
- 2 March: Daytime Carnival in Triana at 12:00 h
- 3 March: Daytime Carnival in Santa Catalina at 12:00 h
- 4 March: Traditional Carnival at 19:00 h and Drag Queen Gala at 21:00
- 5 March: Martes de Carnaval. Daytime Carnival in Santa Catalina at 12:00 h
- 9 March: Main Carnival Parade in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria at 18:00 h, followed by Carnival Night at 22:00 h
- 10 March: The Burial of the Sardine at 19:00 h
You can see a full schedule of the carnival in PDF format.
The Carnival is the largest winter event in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria as it's happening during the touristic high season. More than forty acts make up an extensive program of three weeks of celebrations, some of the most important being: the Drag Queen Gala and its Pre-selection (one of the most followed events worldwide), the Queen's Gala, the murgas contests, comparsas, corporal makeup or costumes, the Canine Carnival (which in 2019 will celebrate its tenth edition, and which has enjoyed great popular acceptance and a notorious presence of tourists), its horseback riding, its children's carnival and the daytime carnival in the surroundings of Santa Catalina or the historic center of Vegueta.
The Santa Catalina Park, between the Cruise Ship Pier and Las Canteras Beach, is the nerve center of the main acts of the program, which take place in a large outdoor setting exclusively for the occasion, set in the allegory chosen to every edition. This scenario is in itself one of the main attractions of a party that gathers more than half a million people each year in its celebrations.
You can also see more info about the other similar carnivals in Gran Canaria in 2019:
If you're on the island during the carnival season, you can also read more about Gran Canaria Carnivals 2019 - a page where we gather info about all the island's carnavals.