Gran Canaria has announced the dates and more details regarding the carnival in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, including the theme and the competition for the poster.
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Carnival 2020 Dates: February 7th - March 1st 2020
Carnival theme for the event in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria: Once Upon A Time...
The theme for the 2020 event revolves around fairy tales, fables and legends, which will bring a magical atmosphere to Las Palmas.
So "once upon a time", at the 2020 edition of the carnival, the participants are encouraged to dress in their most fairy tale like costume, inspired by mythical stories and tales from all over the world.
Schedule and main events
THIS IS ONLY A PROVISIONAL CALENDAR. This page will be updated as soon as more info becomes available from the authorities in Las Palmas.
- 12 February: Adult Costume Competition - at 21:00 h
- 15 February: Vegueta Carnival
- 16 February: Canine Carnival at 12:00 h and Daytime Carnival in Santa Catalina at 15:00 h
- 21 February: Queen Gala at 21:00 h and Carnival Night at 22:00 h
- 22 February: Daytime Carnival in Triana at 12:00 h
- 23 February: Daytime Carnival in Santa Catalina at 12:00 h
- 24 February: Traditional Carnival at 19:00 h and Drag Queen Gala at 21:00
- 25 February: Martes de Carnaval. Daytime Carnival in Santa Catalina at 12:00 h
- 29 February: Main Carnival Parade in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria at 17:00 h, followed by Carnival Night at 23:00 h
- 1 March: The Burial of the Sardine at 19:00 h
The Carnival is the largest winter event in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria as it's happening during the tourist high season. More than forty acts make up an extensive program of three weeks of celebrations, some of the most important being: the Drag Queen Gala and its Pre-selection (one of the most followed events worldwide), the Queen's Gala, the murgas contests, comparsas, corporal makeup or costumes, the Canine Carnival (which in 2019 has celebrated its tenth edition, and which has enjoyed great popular acceptance and a notorious presence of tourists), its horseback riding, its children's carnival and the daytime carnival in the surroundings of Santa Catalina or the historic center of Vegueta.
- Visit Las Palmas: Best Things To Do in the Capital of Gran Canaria
The Santa Catalina Park, between the Cruise Ship Pier and Las Canteras Beach, is the nerve center of the main acts of the program, which take place in a large outdoor setting exclusively for the occasion, set in the allegory chosen to every edition. This scenario is in itself one of the main attractions of a party that gathers more than half a million people each year in its celebrations.
- Useful info: Gran Canaria Weather in February
If you're on the island during the carnival season, you can also read more about Gran Canaria Carnivals 2020 - a page where we gather info about all the island's carnavals.