Maspalomas & Playa del Ingles Weather in December
Maspalomas is a great winter destination if you prefer to escape the cold and spend your holidays in the sun. And what better month than December to feel the holiday's spirit in Playa del Ingles and Maspalomas, on the gorgeous island of Gran Canaria?
The weather in December in Maspalomas is still pretty much gorgeous all the time, with sunny days and T-shirt & shorts temperatures during the day. Although you shouldn't expect summer weather in December, you will still be able to sunbathe and even swim in the south of the island.
December weather averages in Maspalomas & Playa del Ingles
- RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE: 28.3 °C
- AVERAGE HIGH TEMPERATURE: 21 °C
- DAILY MEAN TEMPERATURE: 18 °C
- AVERAGE LOW TEMPERATURE: 14 °C
- RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE: 12.4 °C
- AVERAGE RAINFALL: 33 mm
- MEAN MONTHLY SUNSHINE HOURS: 186
- MEAN DAILY SUNSHINE HOURS: 6
- PERCENT POSSIBLE SUNSHINE: 60
- MEAN MONTHLY DAYLIGHT HOURS: 310
- MEAN DAILY DAYLIGHT HOURS: 10
- ULTRAVIOLET INDEX: 4
- SEA TEMPERATURE: 20 °C
What is the weather like in Maspalomas in December
December is the first month of winter but it's nothing like the usual winter weather you know from back home (that is if you're coming from somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere).
Maspalomas weather in December is still characterized by sunny days, temperatures around 20 °C during the day and most of the days can be spent sunbathing. Maspalomas is located in the south of Gran Canaria, so due to its position it enjoys a much better weather in winter compared to the north of the island.
Average temperature in December in Maspalomas
- The average temperature is 18 °C, which is a mean value calculated between the average high temperature during the daytime of 21 °C and the average low temperature of 14 °C.
While it is still warm during the day even in December, at night you will definitely need a light coat or a cardigan most of the days. Also pack some long trousers and be prepared to have dinner inside most of the time, as the terraces might be too cold to enjoy your meal and evening cocktails.
- The average rainfall in December: 33 mm
December is the wettest month of the year in Maspalomas, although the amount of rainfall is very much similar to the amount the place gets in November.
Average sea temperature
- Average sea temperature in December: 20 °C
With a temperature of 20 °C in December, the ocean is becoming colder and most people will find it too cold for swimming.
Sunshine hours & daylight hours
- Daily hours of daylight: 10
- Daily hours of sunshine: 6
With 10 hours of daylight and 6 hours of sun on average per day, December has some of the shortest days throughout the year.
Also, in November you have 60% chances of seeing the sun each day, which is also the lowest number out of all the months. But keep in mind that it is winter and most other places in Europe don't get any sun at all on most days.
- UV Index in December: 4
With a UV Index of 4 out of a scale of 11, this value is at its lowest level as well, the same as in January.
But you should still apply sun cream if you plan to sunbathe, even if you choose a low or medium protection one.
Should you come on holiday to Playa del Ingles or Maspalomas in December?
Despite the fact that it is the wettest months and one of the coldest, December is one of the best times to visit Gran Canaria and especially the south of the island, like Maspalomas.
While the rest of Europe starts to get a lot of crappy weather, the climate in Maspalomas stays friendly and sunny most of the time, with the exception of a few odd rainy days. December is actually high season in Gran Canaria and many families from the UK, Nordic countries, Germany, Italy come here to spend their holidays in the sun. There's something magical in spending New Year's night on the beach and then spending the first day of a fresh year with a cocktail by the pool. So yes, we definitely recommend coming on holiday to Maspalomas in December, enjoy the beautiful weather and get a tan in the middle of winter.
Maybe these articles will help you reach a decision
- Best Apartments in Gran Canaria: Monte Feliz (San Agustin) • Club Vista Serena (Maspalomas)
- Popular Hotels in Gran Canaria: Radisson Blu Resort & Spa 5* (Puerto de Mogan) • Occidental Margaritas 4* (Playa del Ingles)
- Join Gran Canaria Forum on Facebook for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Gran Canaria.
- Best Tours & Excursions: From Puerto Rico: Dolphin Watching Cruise • Guided Buggy Tour