Playa Chica - Most popular beach in Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote
As the name indicates, Playa Chica is the smaller beach in the lively resort of Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote. But despite its small size compared to the much larger Playa Grande, Playa Chica is widely popular among visitors and locals as well.
Playa Chica characteristics (Puerto del Carmen - Lanzarote)
- Length: 90 meters
- Width: 22 meters
- Beach type: Urban
- Lifeguards: Yes
- Sand: Golden Sand
- Access: On foot / By car
- Parking: Yes / Less than 50 spaces / See location on Google Maps
- Public transport: Yes / Bus Line 2
- Nudism: No
- Amenities: Showers or Footbaths, Toilets, Bins
- Sunbeds/umbrellas rental: Yes
- Sports area: No
- Children's area: No
- Diving/snorkeling: Yes
Especially during the summer months, Playa Chica in Puerto del Carmen becomes quite busy and crowded with people. This beach is especially a favorite for families with small children since the water here is safe and warm.
Playa Chica is quite small compared to Playa Grande, but it's more fun and lively. This beach is also extremely safe for swimming, as there are no rips or big waves.
Chica Beach is also popular for snorkeling and feeding the fish, as the marine life is as busy and interesting as the crowds of people on the shore. This makes Playa Chica a great place to bring your snorkeling equipment if you want to see some of the varieties of fish found in the Canary Islands.
Playa Chica has been updated in 2020
In 2020, Playa Chica, in Puerto del Carmen, has undergone a facelift and it now boasts renovated gardens, new benches, a shaded area, and an improved shower area.
There are sunbeds and umbrellas for hire on the terrace overlooking the beach.
Parking around Playa Chica can be very difficult, especially during the summer season. It is recommended that you get here early if you want to find a parking spot and also a good spot on the beach where to sit.
In conclusion, Playa Chica is not only the top beach for families in Puerto del Carmen, but it also ranks high on our list of best beaches in Lanzarote, due to its accessibility, safety and lively atmosphere.
Playa Chica location & How to get there
- Best Apartments & Villas in Lanzarote: Playa Blanca Romantic Villa (private pool) • Puerto del Carmen Premium Apartment (lovely terrace)
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Popular hotels in Lanzarote: Occidental Lanzarote Playa 4* (Costa Teguise) • Hyde Park Lane 3* (Puerto del Carmen)
- Join Lanzarote Forum on Facebook for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Lanzarote.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Volcanoes and Caves: Full-Day Tour • Fire Mountains in Southern Lanzarote: Half-Day Tour