Playa San Telmo: Swim In The Natural Pools in Puerto de la Cruz
In 2015, the beach of San Telmo has gone through a major renovation and a ramp for wheelchairs was added between the old chapel and the beach. Many residents come here so you will get a chance to interact and learn more about the real life in Tenerife.
|Location:||Puerto de la Cruz|
|Map:||see on Google maps|
|Beach type:||Pebbles and black sand|
|Facilities:||Showers, waste bins, bars|
San Telmo Beach & the amazing natural pools
Located in the north of Tenerife in the town of Puerto de la Cruz, San Telmo beach is small compared to Playa Jardin and Martianez Beach, but it is ideal for swimming and it’s very popular among locals. During low tide, natural pools are revealed in San Telmo beach and they are suitable to swim and offer a pleasant experience for adults and kids as well.
This tiny beach has black volcanic sand and pebbles and measures only 30 m long, so there’s not much space to go around or to spend the day lounging in the sun. People gather at San Telmo beach for the natural pools that are revealed only when the tide is low. Kids love to swim and jump in the water from the rocks, but you should be careful because there are no lifeguards on site.
It’s easy to get to this beach on foot since it is right in the city of Puerto de la Cruz. There is no car park nearby, so if you arrive here by car you will have to park further from the beach and then walk here.
Although there are no sun loungers or umbrellas for hire, Playa San Telmo deserves a visit during your stay on the island, just so you can enjoy the natural swimming pools of Puerto de la Cruz.
The beach of San Telmo was awarded the Blue Flag distinction for its clear water and also the beautiful natural settings.
- Best Apartments & Villas in Tenerife: Romantic Bungalow Playa Paraiso (ideal for couples) • Los Cristianos Charming Apartment (modern, newly renovated)
- Popular hotels in Tenerife: Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife 5* (Playa Paraiso) • Hotel Cleopatra Palace 4* (Playa de Las Americas)
- Join Tenerife Holiday Forum Facebook group for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Tenerife.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks & Snacks • From South Tenerife: La Gomera Island Tour