Puerto de la Cruz Carnival 2018
The Carnival in Puerto de la Cruz is one of the largest events happening on the island, just after the carnival in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
This is today an event of international importance and tens of thousands of people come each year to take part in the main activities: Burial of the sardine (entierro de la sardina) or the men's marathon in high heels on the streets of Puerto de la Cruz.
Each year, participants prepare amazing floats that take part in the parade, including participants and floats from Dusseldorf (Germany), a tradition dating back since 1972.
See the dates and schedule for the latest edition of the carnival in Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto de la Cruz Carnival Dates 2018: 3 - 18 February 2018
The theme for the 2018 carnival in Puerto de la Cruz is Greek Mythology and the poster for the event is titled Carnival in Olympus (Carnaval en el Olimpo).
So although you're in Spain, remember to get your toga dresses and come dressed as ancient Greek gods and goddesses.
Main events during the carnival:
- Thursday, 8th February 2018: Election of the Carnival Queen
- Wednesday, 14 February 2018: Burial of the sardine - Entierro de la Sarina
- Friday, 16 February 2018: Maraton Masculino Mascarita Ponte Tacon - men's marathon on an obstacle course, that runs along the main streets of Puerto de la Cruz. The main obstacle: participants must wear high heeled shoes, no less than 10 cm in height.
- Saturday, 17 February 2018: Carnival Apotheosis Coso
- Join Tenerife Holiday Forum Facebook group for more tips about the island.
- Best Apartments & Villas in Tenerife: Romantic Bungalow Playa Paraiso (ideal for couples) • Los Cristianos Charming Apartment (modern, newly renovated)
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Popular hotels in Tenerife: Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife 5* (Playa Paraiso) • Hotel Cleopatra Palace 4* (Playa de Las Americas)
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Tenerife.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks & Snacks • From South Tenerife: La Gomera Island Tour