Rancho Canario is a popular type of stew, served in all the Canary Islands, so if you've visited an authentic restaurant during your holidays you might have tried it already.
The recipe usually calls for beef and chicken meat, but there are lots of variations and you can also add chorizo or smoked pork ribs for more flavor.
The recipe also calls for a special type of thick pasta, which you can easily find in most supermarkets in the Canary Islands. If you're making this at home and you can't find the exact kind, you can use a thicker type of spaghetti (they have a number on the package depending on their size - usually no 4 is good).
Ingredients for Rancho Canario:
250 g beef meat
250 g chicken meat
500 g chickpeas (soaked in water overnight)
500 g potatoes, diced
100 g thick pasta (like no. 4 pasta)
2-3 garlic cloves
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
2 l water
1. Rinse the soaked chickpeas several times and then add them in a pot, along with all the meat and the water and bring everything to a boil. Let it boil covered for around 1 hour.
2. In this time prepare the sofrito or frying base: heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the onion until it's soften up, but be careful not to burn it. Add the garlic, tomato, paprika and allow them to cook for a few minutes.
3. After the meat and chickpeas are cooked through, add the frying base to the pot, the salt, pepper and bay leaf also. You could also add saffron for more color, or maybe some chorizo when you cook your sofrito.
4. Add the diced potatoes and allow the to cook for about 10 minutes.
5. The final step is to add the pasta and cook for another 5 minutes.
This recipe for Rancho Canario is great especially during the colder months, since it's a thick and hearty soup, almost with a stew like consistency. It's definitely not the type of food popular on Instagram, since it does not look pretty in photos, but it's tasty and it represents a typical dish in the Canary Islands cuisine.
Tenerife is the perfect holiday destination if you're looking for beach weather all year round, but if you're looking for a break from the sun then a ...
The Tourism office of Puerto del Rosario - Fuerteventura, has announced a new event in the capital of the island called MarEnArt. This event will ...
Besides the main carnival in Puerto de la Cruz (which is of international importance) and the second largest after the Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival,...
Tenerife is usually acclaimed for its its great climate, sunny sky and warm winters, but if you're willing to look past that you will find that the ...
This is an annual event in the resort of Puerto del Carmen, organized by the Hindu community. HOLI is celebrated to welcome the spring with lots of ...
Lanzarote is a small island compared to Tenerife or even Fuerteventura, which is located in the close vicinity. Driving in Lanzarote is easy and ...