Rancho Canario is a popular type of stew, served in all the Canary Islands, so if you've visited an authentic restaurant during your holidays you might have tried it already.
The recipe usually calls for beef and chicken meat, but there are lots of variations and you can also add chorizo or smoked pork ribs for more flavor.
The recipe also calls for a special type of thick pasta, which you can easily find in most supermarkets in the Canary Islands. If you're making this at home and you can't find the exact kind, you can use a thicker type of spaghetti (they have a number on the package depending on their size - usually no 4 is good).
Ingredients for Rancho Canario:
250 g beef meat
250 g chicken meat
500 g chickpeas (soaked in water overnight)
500 g potatoes, diced
100 g thick pasta (like no. 4 pasta)
2-3 garlic cloves
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
2 l water
1. Rinse the soaked chickpeas several times and then add them in a pot, along with all the meat and the water and bring everything to a boil. Let it boil covered for around 1 hour.
2. In this time prepare the sofrito or frying base: heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the onion until it's soften up, but be careful not to burn it. Add the garlic, tomato, paprika and allow them to cook for a few minutes.
3. After the meat and chickpeas are cooked through, add the frying base to the pot, the salt, pepper and bay leaf also. You could also add saffron for more color, or maybe some chorizo when you cook your sofrito.
4. Add the diced potatoes and allow the to cook for about 10 minutes.
5. The final step is to add the pasta and cook for another 5 minutes.
This recipe for Rancho Canario is great especially during the colder months, since it's a thick and hearty soup, almost with a stew like consistency. It's definitely not the type of food popular on Instagram, since it does not look pretty in photos, but it's tasty and it represents a typical dish in the Canary Islands cuisine.
Puerto Santiago is a quiet resort on the west coast of Tenerife, part of the municipality of Santiago del Teide. It is located very close to Los ...
Fuerteventura is celebrating carnival season along all the other Canary Islands, with celebrations in all the major cities and resorts: Corralejo, ...
While in Tenerife, we recommend that you try the local fruit, vegetables and produce, especially the ones that you can find in the farmers' market or ...
Fuerteventura is well known for its amazing beaches, with hundreds of km of coastline and turquoise waters, but there's so much to do and see around ...
Gran Canaria is recognized as a great place for partying, so during the Carnival days the island is full of life, music and color. Everyone is invited ...
If you're looking for a sunny winter break, then a trip to the Canary Islands might be exactly what you need: imagine a sunny Christmas in Lanzarote, ...