Semana Santa in La Laguna 2017
Semana Santa or The Holy Week in La Laguna represents a time when the entire town gets dressed up for the festivities and the churches get prepared for the large amount of people that arrive for the processions.
Schedule for Semana Santa in La Laguna - 01 March until 15 April 2017
This year there will be lots of cultural events, starting from March and until May, most of them happening in Plaza de la Catedral or in one of the churches in town.
However, the most important part of Semana Santa is represented by the religious processions that take place until Easter, the reason why so many people choose to come to La Laguna during this period.
Schedule for Holy Week in Tenerife - San Cristobal de La Laguna in 2017
12 April 2017 - Holy Wednesday
- 18:00 h: Parroquia de San Benito Abad
- 19:00 h: Santa Iglesia Catedral
13 April 2017 - Holy Thursday
- 19:30 h: Parroquia de Santo Domingo de Guzmán
- 20:30 h: Santa Iglesia Catedral: Last Supper (Holy Supper)
- 21:00 h: Parroquia de San Lazaro
14 April 2017 - Good Friday
- 04:00 h: Real Santuario del Santisimo Cristo de La Laguna
- 11:00 h: Parroquia Matriz de Nuestra Señora de La Concepción
- 16:15 h: Parroquia de Santo Domingo de Guzmán
- 17:00 h: Santa Iglesia Catedral - Procesion Magna
22:00 h: Santa Iglesia Catedral - Procesion del Silencio / The Silent Procession These are the most important processions: Magna Procession and The Silent Procession, when most locals and tourists come to La Laguna, as they always take place on Friday before Easter. During these processions fraternities and brotherhoods set off from the churches in town and go through the streets of La Laguna, in solemn parades, dressed in white robes and with their faces coverd with masks. Their outfit reminds of Ku Klux Klan, since it is the same type of robe, but it was first used by the Catholics in relgious processions, to allow people to do a walk of penitence in anonimity, without anyone being able to recognize them.
Itinerary for Magna Procession:
Plaza de la Catedral, Calle obispo Rey Redondo (la Carrera), Calle Ascanio y Nieves, Calle San Agustín, Calle Nava y Grimón, Calle obispo Rey Redondo (la Carrera), getting back to Plaza de la Catedral
Itinerary for the Silent Procession:
Plaza de la Catedral, Calle obispo Rey Redondo (la Carrera), Plaza del Adelantado, Calle Santo Domingo and finishing at Parroquia de Santo Domingo de Guzmán.
- 15 April 2017 - Holy Saturday
19:00 h: Parroquia de Santo Domingo de Guzmán
- 15 April 2017 - Easter Sunday
08:30 h: Parroquia de Santo Domingo de Guzmán
If you spending Easter in Tenerife and you have the chance to go to La Laguna, you should definitely experience the Friday processions, which are famous in all of Tenerife and large crowds of people come to take part.
- See more things to do in Tenerife
Remember that these are part of a religious procession, so try to respect the customs of the local people.
Tenerife is of course part of Spain, so the processions happening during Semana Santa in Tenerife are of great importance to the locals, the same like they are on the continent.
- Best Apartments in Tenerife: Kn Aparthotel Columbus (Playa de Las Americas) • Aparthotel Los Dragos del Sur (Puerto de Santiago)
- Popular hotels in Tenerife: Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife 5* (Playa Paraiso) • Hotel Cleopatra Palace 4* (Playa de Las Americas)
- Join Tenerife Holiday Forum Facebook group for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Tenerife.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks & Snacks • From South Tenerife: La Gomera Island Tour