Spain reopens borders for tourism on June 21 for Schengen states - Positive News Canary Islands
June 15, 2020
1. Spain will reopen borders to EU states on June 21, Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez tells regional chiefs. Travelers from countries outside Schengen will be permitted to enter from July 1, providing there is a reciprocal agreement on travel and taking into account the epidemiological situation in the country of origin. (El Pais - English)
2. The island of La Palma, part of the Balearic Islands, has received today the first international tourists after 3 months. A flight from Düsseldorf (Germany) has landed at 10:54 am at the Palma airport with the first foreign tourists arriving in Spain since the borders were closed three months ago due to the coronavirus pandemic. 189 passengers have flown on the plane, chartered by the tour operator TUI. (Canarias 7)
3. The resorts in the south of Gran Canaria are making preparations in order to avoid large crowds this summer. To avoid crowds, the City Councils of San Bartolomé de Tirajana and Mogán continue to work on protocols that guarantee distance and capacity. (Maspalomas Ahora)
4. The Canary Islands are preparing a Plan B which would allow them to do tests at destination if they are not done in origin. The Minister of Tourism, Yaiza Castilla, said this Monday that in the event that visitors are not tested in origin, the Canarian Government is preparing a plan b for them, which would permit to make tests when they arrive, but the authorities are trying to involve the airlines, which should encourage tourists to get tested before traveling. (Maspalomas Ahora)
5. BONUS: Dolphins swimming along the coast of Lanzarote, near Famara beach.
Plan the perfect holiday in the Canary Islands
We always use Airbnb for apartment rentals and if you sign up from our link you get a 41€ discount for your first booking.
Looking for a hotel? We have selected for you some of the most popular hotels in the Canary Islands:
- Royal Hideaway Corales Beach by Barceló Hotel Group ***** (Tenerife)
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Gran Canaria Mogan ***** (Gran Canaria)
- Occidental Lanzarote Playa **** (Lanzarote)
- Hotel Ereza Mar **** (Fuerteventura)
Also, take a look at our dedicated guide to help you choose which Canary Island to visit.
Best Day Trips in the Canary Islands
These are the top 3 day trips in the Canary Islands: