Tenerife Carnival 2017 - All You Need To Know
The Carnival in Santa Cruz de Tenerife is the biggest party in the Canary Islands, when all the fun moves out on the streets of the capital!
The theme of the Tenerife Carnival in 2017: Carribean
Read all there is to know about the new edition of the Tenerife Carnival!
Carribean is the theme this year and the poster was designed by the artist Pepe Damaso.
Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival 2017 Dates: 22 February – 5 March 2017
The main events are:
- Election of the Tenerife Carnival Queen – 22 February 2017
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife Parade – 28 February 2017
- Funeral of the Sardine – 1 March 2017
Election of the Carnival Queen
- Date: 22 February
- Time: 21:30 h
- Location: Centro Internacional de Ferias y Congresos
The Ayuntamiento de Santa Cruz de Tenerife has announced that in 2017 there are 47 participants for the title of Queen of the Carnaval, including the participants for the kids prize. The event of choosing the queen will be presented by Enrique Camacho and transmitted on TV by Television Canaria and Television Espanola.
During the carnival the city is full of stalls that will sell food and drinks, so it's a party atmosphere all day long for the participants.
Everyone is encouraged to wear costumes and really live up to the spirit of the Tenerife Carnival! The city is full of color and life and everyone is walking the streets with a Dorada in hand, dancing and enjoying the wonderful atmosphere!
This year the authorities have launched even a Touristic Bus and VIP Tickets for some of the festivities, so check out the official website for more information.
Funeral of the Sardine
Date: 1 March
Time: 21:00 h
Location: Juan Pablo II
For some this is the most fascinating and different night of the entire Carnival. The celebration starts with a giant sardine that is followed by a funeral parade of men in drag. At the end of the parade the sardine is put on fire, in a show that is both mesmerizing and bizarre, a unique experience for the participants.
Apart from these main events, there are other celebrations during this period, both in Santa Cruz de Tenerife and in Puerto de la Cruz.
The Carnival in Tenerife is the second largest carnival after the one in Rio de Janeiro and it's certainly the biggest and most important event in the Canary Islands. The streets are filled with people dancing and enjoying the Spanish fiesta atmosphere all night long, so be careful where you choose you accommodation.
You may want to be as close as possible to the main event, but keep in mind that the party and the parades are noisy and last until the morning hours.
Carnaval de Tenerife Schedule 2017
From start to finish the carnival lasts more than a month, but the main events for which most people come to the island, are held between the 22nd February and 5th of March.
The inauguration of the 2017 Tenerife Carnival will take place on the 27th January in Santa Cruz, but the election of the queen and the main parade only take place a month later, in the last week of February.
Keep this in mind when you schedule your visit to the island and check the official website of the event for more info.
Puerto de la Cruz Carnival 2017
This is probably the second most expected event on the island, after the festivites in the capital.
- Election of the Queen of Puerto de la Cruz - 23 February
- Burial of the Sardine in Puerto de la Cruz - 1 March
- Puerto de la Cruz Parade – 4 March 2017
Los Cristianos Carnival 2017
17 - 27 March 2017
Although many villages and towns in Tenerife celebrate their own carnival now, the one in Los Cristianos is the largest carnival in the south.
Lots of tourists and residents gather here for the procession and the parade, so it's a MUST GO event if you are in Tenerife during this time.
Los Gigantes Carnival 2017
10 - 18 March 2017
- Election of the Queen Los Gigantes - 10 March
- Burial of the Sardine in Los Gigantes - 17 March
- Los Gigantes Parade – 12 March 2017
Candelaria Carnival 2017
10 - 19 March 2017
The theme for this year's party is AFRICA.
- Election of the Queen Candelaria - 12 March - 19:00 - Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias
- Burial of the Sardine in Candelaria - 19 March - 19:00 - start point: Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias. Finish point: Plaza de los Pescadores.
- Day time Carnival – 19 March 2017 - 12:00 - Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias
- Best Apartments & Villas in Tenerife: Romantic Bungalow Playa Paraiso (ideal for couples) • Los Cristianos Charming Apartment (modern, newly renovated)
- Popular hotels in Tenerife: Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife 5* (Playa Paraiso) • Hotel Cleopatra Palace 4* (Playa de Las Americas)
- Join Tenerife Holiday Forum Facebook group for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Tenerife.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks & Snacks • From South Tenerife: La Gomera Island Tour