Whale watching in Tenerife: 5 Best boat tours in Tenerife
Tenerife is one of the top places for whale watching in Europe due to the fact that the whale watching season extends throughout the year, so no matter when you come on holiday to the Canary Islands, you'll still have a good chance to see one of these magnificent creatures.
- What types of whales can you see around Tenerife?
- When is the best time for whale watching in Tenerife?
- What about dolphins in Tenerife?
- Best boat tours in Tenerife
- Tenerife: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks and Snacks
- Tenerife: Whale Watching Catamaran Tour
- Tenerife: Whale and Dolphin Tour with Underwater Views
- Los Gigantes Whale Watching Cruise by Sail Boat with Pick-Up
- Snorkeling and Kayaking with Turtles
What types of whales can you see around Tenerife?
Currently, according to the Canary Islands Biodiversity Data Bank (BIOTA), there are a total of 32 species of marine mammals in the Canary Islands. Among the most common species that make up this rich biodiversity are dolphins, pilot whales, beaked whales, whales, fin whales and orcas.
This may not seem much at first, but it is considered a high number when it is compared to other destinations. The high biodiversity makes the Canary Islands one of the 6 best European destinations for dolphin and whale watching. So when you're coming over on holiday, don't miss the chance to go on one of the best boat tours in Tenerife in order to see them with your own eyes.
The most common dolphin and whale species that you can see around Tenerife are:
- Bottlenose dolphins
- Ordinary pilot whales
- Common dolphins
- Sperm whales
It is also possible to see Blue-white dolphins, Borneo Dolphins, Killer whales
Blue whales, although the chances are slimmer compared to the more common species.
The Canary Islands Archipelago is the no. 1 place in Europe with the greatest biodiversity in this group of species.
When is the best time for whale watching in Tenerife?
Although you can certainly spot dolphins and whales around Tenerife all throughout the year, the best seasons for whales watching in Tenerife are winter and spring, because this is the time of the year when you can also get to see migratory species like fin whales and humpback whales.
The summer months are the best months to see young specimens and if you want to go on a boat tour you should know that they leave from the south of the island, usually from Los Cristianos, Puerto Colon or Los Gigantes.
What about dolphins in Tenerife?
You have high chances of seeing dolphins in Tenerife as in almost 90% of the boat tours you can see these smart and adorable marine creatures, which are quite common in the waters around the Canary Islands.
Best boat tours in Tenerife
In order to ensure that the animals are not disturbed, the Canary Islands has legislation in place when it comes to boat tours, so operators need a special license for these tours. Whale watching tours are one of the most popular things to do in Tenerife, so with great demand comes great responsibility, to make sure that the animals are not in any danger with so many boats going out every day.
These Tenerife boat tours have the best reviews from customers and you can choose one depending also on where you are staying in the island during your holiday.
Tenerife: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks and Snacks
This boat tour is one of the most popular excursions in Tenerife!
Let the wind whip your hair back and forth as you gaze out across the clear azure waters of Southern Tenerife in the Canary Islands on a 3-hour cruise. Along with a maximum of 11 other cruise mates, you will have plenty of space onboard a luxury yacht to see the beauty of nature along the coastline and in the water.
- Includes hotel pickup within a 10km radius of Puerto Colón (Los Cristianos-Callao Salvaje)
- Champagne, snacks & unlimited drinks included; Ham, cheese & salad baguettes
- Sonar equipment for listening to the dolphins and whales
Tenerife: Whale Watching Catamaran Tour
Sail off the coast of southwest Tenerife on a 2-hour boat excursion looking for whales and dolphins. The boat departs from Puerto Colon, traveling 2 or 3 miles from the coast, where the pilot whales are often to be found.
Sailing by catamaran, you will also pass by some fish farms, where the clever dolphins are often looking for an easy meal.
- Free on board drinks, including water, soft drinks, and beer
- Snorkeling set (if you choose the 3-hour option)
- Stop in the bay of Playa Espagueti to swim and snorkel
Tenerife: Whale and Dolphin Tour with Underwater Views
Sail along the coastline past Adeje, Guia de Isora, and Santiago del Teide, where pods of spirited dolphins and groups of pilot whales are a common sight. If you are lucky enough to spot them, spend a few minutes below deck and observe them from a vantage point underneath the water's surface.
Then, enjoy a cold beer or a glass of sangria along with lunch back on deck (if you book the 3-hour option). The boat will return to Puerto Colon and if you have booked a transfer, your bus will take you back to your pickup point.
- Pickup & drop-off from the south of Tenerife (if option selected)
- Lunch with beer, sangria, and soft drinks (on 3-hour option)
- Swimming stop (on 3-hour option)
Los Gigantes Whale Watching Cruise by Sail Boat with Pick-Up
Cruise out into the open sea in search for dolphins and pilot whales in an intimate group of no more than 9 people. Get served complimentary drinks, along with fresh fruit onboard the boat.
Drop anchor to go for a swim in the sea or snorkel with the marine life in a small cove of outstanding beauty. Return to the boat to enjoy freshly made sandwiches. Then, slowly navigate your way back to port enjoying the great views of the cliffs along the way.
- Pick-up service from locations between Los Gigantes and La Caleta
- Fresh fruit, home-made sandwiches (vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options) & Beverages, including cava, white and red wine, beer and soft drinks
- 3-hour whale-watching cruise and time to swim and snorkel
Snorkeling and Kayaking with Turtles
Climb aboard for a 2.5-hour kayaking adventure in Tenerife and get up close and personal with dolphins and turtles in their natural environment. Observe the amazing creatures from a vessel that does not frighten them or disturb their natural habitat.
Experience the extraordinary sensation of being surrounded by pods of up to 30 dolphins that sometimes put on a show by jumping high into the air! Tenerife is home to up to 5 different species of dolphins, including bottlenose dolphins.
- Includes Kayaks, paddles, masks and snorkels
- Includes also Accident insurance
- Guide & Pictures included
- Best Apartments in Tenerife: Kn Aparthotel Columbus (Playa de Las Americas) • Aparthotel Los Dragos del Sur (Puerto de Santiago)
- Popular hotels in Tenerife: Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife 5* (Playa Paraiso) • Hotel Cleopatra Palace 4* (Playa de Las Americas)
- Join Tenerife Holiday Forum Facebook group for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Tenerife.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks & Snacks • From South Tenerife: La Gomera Island Tour
FAQ about whale watching in Tenerife
You can go on boat trips and see whales in Tenerife all year round, but the best months are during the winter and spring seasons.
Boat trips that take you out on the ocean to see whales in Tenerife depart from the south of the island from Los Cristianos, Los Gigantes and Puerto Colon.
You can see dolphins in Tenerife on the same boat trips where you can see whales as well. The best area is the stretch of ocean between Tenerife and La Gomera.