Facts about Fuerteventura beaches
- Some of the best beaches in Europe for practicing water sports such as windsurfing and kitesurfing
- The Windsurfing World Championship takes place each year on Sotavento beach, in the south of the island
- Many of the beaches in Fuerteventura are nudist friendly
- You can find both beaches with golden sand and beaches with black volcanic sand
Best Beaches in Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura is a beach lover's paradise, but a few of these places stand out and deserve a special mention. Cotillo and Cofete were both included in Top 10 Best Beaches in Europe in 2015 by Tripadvisor users, so officially the island of Fuerteventura has 2 of the most beautiful beaches in Europe.
Fuerteventura Beaches - The Complete Guide
West of Fuerteventura - Black Volcanic Sand - Beautiful Sunsets
Ajuy is a small fishing village on the west coast of Fuerteventura, in the municipality of Pajara.
- Location: Ajuy, 20 minutes drive from Pajara.
- Characteristics: Volcanic black sand. Strong waves, it's usually a dangerous place to swim.
- Tips: Ajuy is the perfect place to enjoy the sunset in Fuerteventura.
BAJA GOMEZ BEACH (or JUAN GOMEZ BEACH)
South of Fuerteventura - Dirt Road Access - Secluded and wild beach
This beach is situated in the south of the island and it's completely wild and untouched.
You have to follow the road to Cofete and then at the crossroads you will follow the direction of Puerto de la Cruz.
- Location: southern tip of Fuerteventura, near Puerto de la Cruz village
- Characteristics: wild, sandy beach, few or no tourists, very quiet beach
BAJO NEGRO BEACH / FLAG BEACH
North of Fuerteventura - Inside Corralejo Natural Park - Good for Surfers
This beach is situated in the North of Fuerteventura, inside the Corralejo Natural Park.
- Location: Bajo Negro is part of Corralejo Grandes Playas
- Characteristics: white sandy beach, nudist beach, with strong waves and wind
- Facilities: sunbeds, umbrellas, hotels nearby. You can reach this beach by bus from Corralejo or Puerto del Rosario.
South of Fuerteventura - Dirt Road Access - Quiet and wild beach
Over 14 km of golden sand, with plenty of space to explore. Here you always find a private spot just for you.
- Location: Situated in the municipality of Pajara, between Roque del Moro and Pta. Paloma. You have to take the road to Cofete, as Playa Barlovento is situated just before Cofete and a road sign will indicate the way.
- Characteristics: strong winds, not many tourists, beautiful scenery
BEACH CALETA DE BEATRIZ
North of Fuerteventura - Dirt Road Access - Calm Water
This beach is situated in the North of Fuerteventura and it's around 200 m long and 18 m wide.
- Location: between Corralejo and El Cotillo, following the gravel road
- Characteristics: fine golden sand, nudist friendly, very wild beach with no amenities.
- GPS coordinates: 28.727588, -13.979984
CALETA DE FUSTE
Center of Fuerteventura - Urban Beach - Calm Water - Suitable for children
This beach is also called El Castillo Beach.
Caleta de Fuste is one of the most popular resorts in Fuerteventura and the beach is ideal for families with children.
- Location: it is situated in the center of Fuerteventura, in the municipality of Antigua.
- Charactertics: calm waters, sandy beach
- Amenities: sunbeds, umbrellas, beach showers, restaurants nearby
CALETA DEL MARRAJO
North of Fuerteventura - Easy Access - Calm Water
This small beach is situated in the north of Fuerteventura, near El Cotillo.
- Location: close to Faro del Toston
- Characteristics: calm water with clear turquoise colors; ideal for swimming or coming here with small children, since the waters are so calm, with no currents or waves.
- GPS coordinates: 28.711065, -14.009886
CASA DE JOROS BEACH
South of Fuerteventura - Difficult Access (4x4 vehicle needed)
The access to Playa Casa de Joros is very difficult and it's possible only with a 4x4 car or by sea.
- Location: south of Fuerteventura, Pajara municipality
- Characteristics: white fine sand and rocks. The landsutcape is beaiful, but the access is very difficult.
CHARCO DE BRISTOL
North of Fuerteventura - Difficult Access (4x4 vehicle needed) - Calm Water
Small beach, around 100 m of sand and small pebbles
- Location: accessible from Corralejo by car or by foot. Walking from the harbour in Corralejo on Paseo Maritimo Bristol you will see this small beach on the right.
- Characteristics: although it's practically in Corralejo, this beach has no amenities. There are many small rocks and it's usually a very quiet beach, with not many tourists.
GPS coordinates: 28.744144, -13.870012
South of Fuerteventura - Dirt Road Access - Stunning Landscape - MUST SEE in Fuerteventura
Cofete Beach is the jewel in Fuerteventura, a secluded and wild beach in the south of the island.
- Location: 1 hour drive from Morro Jable. Read the full article for details.
- Characteristics: wild beach, usually strong waves. Incredible scenery, a true must see place when visiting Fuerteventura. Cofete was named as one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe by Tripadvisor.
- GPS coordinates: 28.114307, -14.373465
CORRALEJO VIEJO BEACH
North of Fuerteventura - Urban Beach - Calm Water
Corralejo Viejo is situated right in the center of Corralejo, close to all the restaurants and shops.
- Location: center of Corralejo. It is also accessible by bus.
- Characteristics: almost 200 m long and 30 m wide. It has golden sands and although it's usually windy, the ocean is calm, with no waves.
South of Fuerteventura - Urban Beach
The Costa Calma area is one of the 4 main resorts in Fuerteventura.
- Location: Situated in the resort of Costa Calma, on the south east coast, this beach is very close to hotels and restaurants.
- Characteristics: Huge beach, almost 2 km long. Perfect for water sports: windsurfing and kiteboarding. This is a popular beach, but it's easy to find a spot due to it's large size. Many families come here with children and it's a good place to swim, although sometimes the winds can be pretty strong.
- Facilities: sunbeds, umbrellas, lifeguards, beach showers
- GPS coordinates: 28.160134, -14.226176
DEL MORO BEACH
North of Fuerteventura - Inside Corralejo Natural Park - Ideal for Surfing
Playa Del Moro is 560 m long and it's part of Corralejo Grande Playas.
- Location: this beach is situated in the municipality of La Oliva, inside the Corralejo Natural Park. You can come by car and park in the public parking on the side of the road.
- Characteristics: fine white sand; ideal beach for surfers
The list in this article will be updated soon.