Loro Parque revisited - a MUST SEE while in Tenerife
Located in the city of Puerto de la Cruz, in the north of Tenerife, Loro Parque needs no introduction, as it's probably the island's most popular attraction and also the no 1 zoo in the world according to Tripadvisor (in 2017 and 2018).
Our impressions and recommendations regarding Loro Parque
This article is written according to our impressions from our 2018 visit, but we had visited Loro Parque previously a few years back and we simply loved the park back then, so that's why we were excited to go back again.
The Discovery Tour
This time we discovered a lot more about Loro Parque and Loro Parque Foundation because we took the Discovery Tour, which takes you behind the scenes and so you get a lot more information about how the animals got to Loro Parque, how they are being taken care of and what type of resources are necessary to maintain special exhibitions such as Planet Penguin. You'll get to see the machine room, with all the equipment needed to ensure the right temperature, to clean the water and in general to maintain the perfect living conditions for the penguins living in Loro Parque. "Those are some very lucky penguins" - it's what we thought in the end after seeing how much work and dedication go into maintaining the exhibit.
The Premium Tour
We'd like to mention that there's also the option to upgrade for the Premium Tour, where for around 12 Euros more you'll get a 3 course lunch at one of the restaurants in the park, plus reserved premium seats at all of the shows in the park. Upgrading to the Premium Tour is really worth it if you're planning to spend the entire day visiting the park, because this way you'll get to enjoy a nice meal and you won't have to rush or queue for a seat at the shows.
The amazing shows of Loro Parque
After the Discovery Tour and lunch we were headed for the Orca Show, which is impressive and unique, as you definitely won't see anything like it at any other zoo in Europe.
We liked the educational component of all of the shows, it's a really interesting way of learning more about the animals you're seeing and it's the kind of learning that will keep even children interested.
The other shows are the Dolphin Show, the Sea Lion Show and the Parrot Show. If it's your first time visiting the park, we would recommend you not to skip any of the shows, because they are all very entertaining for both kids and adults.
In between the shows you'll be able to walk around the rest of the park and see the other exhibits.
AQUAVIVA - tha fascinating world of jellyfish
AQUAVIVA was a new discovery for us, as the exhibit wasn't open when we had last visited.
We found this jellyfish collection absolutely fascinating, with so many different kinds and beautiful colors, which will keep you mesmerized for a few good minutes. This exhibit is really unique and we hadn't seen anything similar anywhere else, so we took our time watching the jellyfish and trying to get some nice shots.
If you think you'll love the jellyfish exhibit, then you'll also probably be fascinated by the aquarium, the shark tunnel and the fresh water fish.
There are so many different species of fish, with unique colors and patterns, from different parts of the world, that for a second you can actually imagine that you're looking at a real life Finding Nemo situation.
Loro Parque - the practical details and tips for a great day at the park:
- Skip the line ticket
- Printed or mobile voucher accepted
- Get here early so that you'll have time to visit everything and see all the shows
- Opt for the Discovery Tour so that you'll get a better understanding about what the work involved in developing the park and also the projects that are underway with the help of Loro Parque Foundation
- If you plan to have lunch at the park, it's better to upgrade to Premium tour - this includes a 3 course meal at the Grill and reserved VIP seats at shows.
- Wear comfortable shoes because you will do a lot of walking
- If you're with kids it's better to take your time and visit the park during the course of 2 days. You can buy a ticket for a second visit at half price right at the park.
- You can read our impression from our previous visit to Loro Parque for more info.
- If you plan to visit also Siam Park (which we highly advise you to do) you should buy a twin ticket for Siam Park & Loro Parque, which will be more affordable than buying two separate tickets.
- If you're coming from the south and you don't have a hire car you should use the park's own bus service (you can find the schedule on their website).
Disclaimer: We were invited as guests to visit the park, but all opinions and impressions are our own.
- Best Apartments & Villas in Tenerife: Romantic Bungalow Playa Paraiso (ideal for couples) • Los Cristianos Charming Apartment (modern, newly renovated)
- Popular hotels in Tenerife: Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife 5* (Playa Paraiso) • Hotel Cleopatra Palace 4* (Playa de Las Americas)
- Join Tenerife Holiday Forum Facebook group for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Tenerife.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks & Snacks • From South Tenerife: La Gomera Island Tour