10 Best Things To Do in Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura
Puerto del Rosario has been the capital of Fuerteventura since 1860 and it was previously called "Puerto de las cabras" (Port of the goats). The city is the largest on the island, with a population of around 30,000 people according to Wikipedia and it's the main port in Fuerteventura, with many big ships coming here every day.
Puerto del Rosario is not considered a popular tourist attraction in Fuerteventura, but if you decide to visit, here's a list of things to do and see. However, in recent years, the city has seen a lot of changes and the beach has improved a lot and it is now a really pretty place to take a walk or spend the day.
- 1. Shopping at Centro Comercial Las Rotondas
- 2. Outdoor Sculpture Park in Puerto del Rosario
- 3. Look for the mural paintings in Puerto del Rosario
- 4. Visit the Miguel de Unamuno House-Museum
- 5. Playa Chica
- 6. Playa Blanca
- 7. Puerto del Rosario Carnival
- 8. Fuerteventura Gran Karting
- 9. Exit - Room Escape Fuerteventura
- 10. Our Lady of the Rosary Church
Many cruise ships now make a stop in Puerto del Rosario during the winter season, so the city becomes more lively due to the larger number of tourists. Also, many visitors from nearby resorts come to Puerto del Rosario just to see the big ships when they arrive at the harbour.
1. Shopping at Centro Comercial Las Rotondas
If you plan on doing some shopping while on holiday, then Las Rotondas is probably the best place on the island. It has a great number of shops, like Zara, Bershka, C&A, H&M and some other local brands. There is also a big Hiperdino supermarket on the ground floor and some buffet restaurants, with Indian and Chinese food, on the top floor.
Depending on where you are staying on the island, you may want to read more about shopping in Fuerteventura in order to get more information about other towns and resorts.
2. Outdoor Sculpture Park in Puerto del Rosario
The entire town of Puerto del Rosario is an Outdoor Sculpture Park, with over 50 pieces of art scattered all over the city. The sculptures were designed by different artists as part of an annual contest called The International Symposium of Sculpture.
You can just take a walk through the pedestrian city center, or the ocean promenade and you will find these pieces of art at every corner, each different from the other. Some of the big pieces are placed in the roundabouts or intersections and you will be surprised at the creativity demonstrated by the artists.
3. Look for the mural paintings in Puerto del Rosario
It seems like the town of Puerto del Rosario loves art and aims to bring it to the streets, both with the sculpture park and now with the mural paintings. The initiative has started in 2011 and by now there are over 400 mural paintings in the city.
Some of the local brands have sponsored the project and the talented artists, among which there are names like Dailos Paniagua, Luis of God, Juan Pedro Mendoza, Sophia and Lorenzo Mederos and Martinsolar Deva.
While you take a walk to discover the sculptures, look out for the paintings too, since you will find them in the most surprising places, not only in the town center, but all over Puerto del Rosario, making the place more beautiful.
4. Visit the Miguel de Unamuno House-Museum
- Address: C/Virgen del Rosario, 11 - Puerto del Rosario
- Telephone: 928 862 376
- Admission is FREE.
- Schedule: Monday - Friday: 9am - 1pm and from 5pm - 7pm. On Saturdays, the museum is open from 10:30 am until 7 pm. It is closed on Sundays and official holidays.
Miguel de Unamuno was a Spanish novelist, poet and philosopher who was forced to live in exile until 1930 in Fuerteventura. His house in Puerto del Rosario is now a museum open to the public, so if you want to know more about Unamuno, you should go and visit where he lived.
5. Playa Chica
Playa Chica is a town beach and it is situated close to the harbor where some of the big ships arrive, so it is not as popular for swimming among tourists. The beach in Puerto del Rosario has been updated and now it looks really good and it's also bigger than before, so maybe the name Playa Chica (the small beach) isn't so appropriate anymore. The water here is usually calm and you can find many beautiful seashells if you walk on the shore.
Playa Chica has many facilities like beach showers, lifeguards and changing rooms.
6. Playa Blanca
Close to Puerto del Rosario, you will find another large beach called Playa Blanca.
This beach has facilities like sunbeds and umbrellas, plus there usually is a lifeguard on site.
Playa Blanca is one of the Blue Flag beaches in Fuerteventura, so it well maintained and it is also popular for surfing.
On the beach, you can find a small chiringuito (beach bar), where you can serve a cold cocktail or a beer and they also serve sandwiches for a quick lunch on the beach.
7. Puerto del Rosario Carnival
Since Puerto del Rosario is the island's capital, each year it organizes its own carnival, which is very popular especially among locals and residents.
8. Fuerteventura Gran Karting
If you're passionate about karting, then come to Puerto del Rosario and try the Gran Karting in town. It's a great way to spend time with family and friends, especially on a cloudy day, when you're looking for something to do away from the beach.
9. Exit - Room Escape Fuerteventura
Exit - Room Escape is the first escape game on the island and it's located in Puerto del Rosario.
All the instructions are also available in English and you can have a lot of fun, plus it's a great activity to try with the kids while in Fuerteventura. They have two rooms available: The Kidnapping and Dracula's Chambers.
10. Our Lady of the Rosary Church
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora del Rosario is a church with beautiful architecture in the center of the capital, built in the 1800s and recently renovated. The church is a tranquil place to visit in Puerto del Rosario and it's located near the Casa Museo Miguel de Unamuno.
- Best Apartments & Villas in Fuerteventura: Corralejo Rooftop Terrace Apartment (perfect for couples) • Exclusive Villa with Heated Pool (family villa, ocean view)
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Popular hotels in Fuerteventura: Dunas Club Apartments 3* (Corralejo) • Hotel Ereza Mar 4* (Caleta de Fuste)
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Fuerteventura
- Join Fuerteventura Forum on Facebook for more tips about the island.
- Best Daytrips & Excursions: Oasis Wildlife Fuerteventura • Fuerteventura 3-Hour Dune Buggy Tour