6 Best Things To Do in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is the capital of Gran Canaria and is one of the capitals of the Canary Islands, along with Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
The city is great to visit if you're looking for a sunny city break, as you can find interesting places to visit, great restaurants, shopping opportunities and also a beautiful beach (actually one of the best city beaches in Spain).
What to do in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - Points of interest, Attractions & Places to visit
Las Palmas is actually one of the largest cities in Spain, so there are plenty of activities and things that you can if you plan to visit the city during a day trip, although you could even come and stay for a bit longer... how about an extended city break to Las Palmas, the capital of Gran Canaria?
1. Walk around Vegueta for a historical tour
The historical old town of Vegueta is where it all began and Las Palmas was formed - here you'll find buildings of great historical significance like Casa de Colon and the Santa Ana Cathedral.
Points of interest in Vegueta, the old town
- Casa de Colon - or Colombus House, is a museum dedicated to describe Columbus's voyages and to explain the role of the Canary Islands in his trips. Despite its name, Casa de Colon was at that time the residence of the governors of Las Palmas. The building itself is a beautiful thing to see, representing the typical Canarian architecture.
- Catedral de Santa Ana - the style of the building is known as Atlantic Gothic and for the price of the ticket you can visit the inside of the cathedral, as well as the Museum of Sacred Art. You can also purchase a ticket to go up to the tower, where you get spectacular views over the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
- Museo Canario - dedicated to the pre-Spanish history of the island. If you're interested in finding our more about the first inhabitants of Gran Canaria here you'll learn about the aboriginal population of the island, the canarios. The Museum is only a few minutes away on foot from the cathedral.
Explore the beaches in Las Palmas
The great thing about the capital of Gran Canaria is that it's full of possibilities: if you want to go sightseeing or exploring, you can do that in Vegueta. If you want to shop then you have lots of opportunities. And if you want to relax on the beach, you can do that right on the city beaches.
Las Canteras beach
This is the most popular beach in Las Palmas, situated right in the heart of the city and stretching for around 3 km. You have a great promenade, as well as great restaurants and bars. The beach of Las Canteras has been named several times as the best urban beach in Spain and it's ideal for swimming and snorkeling since it's protected from big waves and there are always lifeguards on site.
Other beaches in Las Palmas are Playa de las Alcaravaneras, Playa de la Laja, Playa de la Puntilla, and Playa del Confital - which is the most secluded, quiet and nudist-friendly. There's something for everyone even in terms of spending time on the beach, so you can choose a different beach for each day you spend here.
Discover the island and learn about things to do and places to visit in Gran Canaria during your holiday
3. Poema del Mar
This is a fairly new attraction in Las Palmas, and it's a great aquarium that kids will enjoy for sure. It is located on the Sanapu Dock and it was developed by the company that also owns Loro Parque and Siam Park in Tenerife.
- Entry is free for children under 4 years old
- Skip the ticket line
- Wheelchair accessible attraction
4. Hop-On Hop-Off Bus - What to do in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria if you're visiting for just 1 day
If you're in the city only for the day, it's a good idea to buy a ticket for the tourist bus that will take you around the city, with stops at the most important places to visit in Las Palmas. The ticket also includes 2 free walking tours around the city center and a tapa with drink at a restaurant. The Hop-On Hop-Off Bus is a good idea for people who arrive in Las Palmas on cruises and only have a few hours for exploration. This way you'll see as much as possible in just one day.
5. Shopping in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
There are so many shopping centers in Las Palms that it's hard to choose only one to visit
- Centro Comercial Las Terrazas - located before you enter the city on GC-1
- Centro Comercial El Mirador
- Centro Comercial La Ballena
- CC Las Rambls Centro
- CC Las Arenas
- El Corte Ingles
- Calle Triana - main shopping street in Las Palmas
6.The carnival in Las Palmas
If you're on the island during the carnival season, which are typically the months of February and/or March, you should come to Las Palmas to participate in island's largest carnival. The main events of the carnival that you can't miss are the day of the big parade, followed by the Burial of the Sardine the next day.
- Best Apartments & Villas in Gran Canaria: Puerto Rico Villa with Private Pool (heated pool, private garden) • Maspalomas Resort Style Bungalow (modern, sunny garden)
- Popular Hotels in Gran Canaria: Radisson Blu Resort & Spa 5* (Puerto de Mogan) • Occidental Margaritas 4* (Playa del Ingles)
- Join Gran Canaria Forum on Facebook for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Gran Canaria.
- Best Tours & Excursions: From Puerto Rico: Dolphin Watching Cruise • Guided Buggy Tour