Canary Islands Weather in May - Which Island Is The Best To Visit?
If you're looking for a warm and sunny spot for a holiday, the Canary Islands are usually the perfect choice no matter the time of the year. The month of May makes no exception, as the weather is already starting to feel like real summer here.
May is a quieter month compared to the previous winter months when the Canaries are packed with visitors from Northern Europe, coming here to escape the cold. But since in May the weather starts to warm up even in the UK and Scandinavia, the islands will be a bit quieter until June, when the summer crowds start to arrive.
May is a great month for outdoor activities like hiking or cycling since it's not very hot yet and the chances of rain are quite slim (almost non-existent).
What's the weather like in the Canary Islands in May
Depending on where you're from, the month of May in the Canary Islands will seem like proper summer to you. Temperatures during the day usually go above 25°C and if you're not staying somewhere high in the mountains, you probably won't need a jacket at night either.
Average temperatures in the Canary Islands in May
Below you can see the average temperatures for the islands during the month of May. But do keep in mind that especially in the mountains of Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Palma and La Gomera the temperatures will be considerably lower.
- Average high temperature: 23.9°C (75.0°F)
- Average low temperature: 17.0°C (62.6°F)
- Daily mean: 20.4°C(68.7°F)
Gran Canaria (Airport)
- Average high temperature: 23.6°C (74.5°F)
- Average low temperature: 17.3°C (63.1°F)
- Daily mean: 20.4°C (68.7°F)
- Average high temperature: 24.6°C (76.3°F)
- Average low temperature: 16.8°C (62.2°F)
- Daily mean: 20.8°C (69.4°F)
- Average high temperature: 24.1°C (75.4 °F)
- Average low temperature: 17.1°C (62.8 °F)
- Daily mean: 20.6°C (67.1°F)
As you can see, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are the warmest Canary Islands in May, but the differences are minimal, so the south of Gran Canaria and Tenerife will be pretty warm as well.
At night you can expect temperatures around 17°C, so some of you might still need a jacket, especially on windy evenings.
If you want more info about the weather conditions, temperatures & sunshine hours in May, you can read the dedicated article for each island:
- Tenerife South - Average rainfall (mm): 1.1 mm
- Gran Canaria Airport - Average rainfall (mm): 1 mm
- Lanzarote - Average rainfall (mm): 1.5 mm
- Fuerteventura - Average rainfall (mm): 1 mm
May is the start of summer in the Canary Islands, so this means virtually no rain.
During the summer months, the Canary Islands see almost no rainy days, so you can expect long beach days, will warmth and plenty of sun hours.
- Tenerife South - Average sea temperature: 19.6°C
- Gran Canaria - Average sea temperature: 20.1°C
- Lanzarote - Average sea temperature: 19.6°C
- Fuerteventura - Average sea temperature: 19.6°C
It seems that the south of Gran Canaria has the highest water temperature in May.
Usually, the area around the resort Puerto Rico de Gran Canaria has the warmest ocean water, as the beaches are sheltered and very protected from currents and big waves.
Can you swim in the Canary Islands in May?
The water temperature depends on which beach you choose, as there can be quite big differences between different beaches in different parts of the island.
For many people, the water temperature in May may be too low for swimming, but there are certainly places where it's warm enough to swim.
Actually, you'll see people enjoying the ocean around the Canary Islands at any given moment of the year, so the month of May is no exception.
Should you travel in May to the Canary Islands?
Yes, if you want to spend a quiet early summer holiday.
One of the unique things to see in May in the Canary Islands is the Tajinaste Rojo plant which is in bloom and it looks amazing in Teide National Park. These beautiful plants are also called Tenerife bugloss or Mount Teide bugloss and they look really unique, so for some people this might be a good reason for choosing Tenerife as a destination in May.
Of course, the rest of the Canaries also enjoy good weather with plenty of sun, so you can visit either one, basing your choice on the best offer that you can find or based on what you plan to do or visit during your holiday.
- Best Villas and Apartments: we always use Airbnb for private rentals in the Canary Islands.
- Looking for a hotel? Booking.com is our top choice for hotel reservations.
- For tours and excursions, we recommend using Get Your Guide, since they offer free cancellation up to 24 h before the activity starts.