Playa Martianez - Ideal surfer's beach in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife
Playa Martianez is an urban beach in Puerto de la Cruz, that does not impress or conquers with her beauty, especially if you compare it with Playa Jardin.
|Location:||Puerto de la Cruz|
|Map:||see on Google maps|
|Beach type:||fine grey sand beach|
|Facilities:||Showers, toilets, waste bins, beach bar|
Ideal beach for surfers in Puerto de la Cruz
Although the beach is not ideal for relaxing and swimming, it has good conditions for surfers and there is even a surfing school right by the beach. If you’re staying in the city, Playa Martianez is easily accessible on foot or by car, and it’s never crowded compared to the more famous Playa Jardin.
A long promenade passes in front of the beach, with benches and sitting areas from where you can admire the view of the ocean. If you move a little further from the beach you will get to Parque Martianez, designed by the Canarian architect Cesar Manrique.
Martianez beach has black volcanic sand and it offers easy access for wheelchairs, although there are no facilities like sun loungers or umbrellas and not even lifeguards on site. The beach is usually frequented by surfers and it offers a lot of space for long walks and exploration, given its considerable size: 350 m in length and 40 m in width.
Playa Martianez is close to many good restaurants and hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
A great number of hotels are situated right across the beach, offering spectacular views of the Atlantic. Puerto de la Cruz is considered the first resort ever in Tenerife, so here you will find many restaurants and bars with amazing food, some of them even worth the trip from across the island.
From Playa Martianez you can easily walk to the other beaches in Puerto de la Cruz like the smaller Playa San Telmo and the beautiful Playa Jardin beach.
Read also our recommendations for the best beaches in Tenerife
- Best Apartments & Villas in Tenerife: Romantic Bungalow Playa Paraiso (ideal for couples) • Los Cristianos Charming Apartment (modern, newly renovated)
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Popular hotels in Tenerife: Hard Rock Hotel Tenerife 5* (Playa Paraiso) • Hotel Cleopatra Palace 4* (Playa de Las Americas)
- Join Tenerife Holiday Forum Facebook group for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Tenerife.
- Best Excursions & Tours: Whale & Dolphin Watching with Drinks & Snacks • From South Tenerife: La Gomera Island Tour