Canary Islands Weather in February - Cheat Winter in the Canaries
February can be one of the worst winter months on the Europen continent but in the Canaries, the weather is still sunny and warm most of the times, which is why traveling here might be just the thing you need.
While other places are hit with heavy snow and temperatures below 0°C, the worst that you could get in the Canary Islands are some rainy days, but even those won't last long here.
While rain does happen more often in winter than during the other seasons, it usually does not last for more than 1 or 2 consecutive days and in Tenerife and Gran Canaria is happens more often in the north or in the mountainous regions.
What's the weather like in the Canary Islands in February
February is one of those months when you can really see the difference between the climate in the Canary Islands and the climate in the rest of Europe.
On most days you will be able to sunbathe comfortably on the beach and you wouldn't even believe it's winter in the Northern hemisphere if you were to look at the thermometers.
Below you can see the average temperatures for the islands during the month of February. But do keep in mind that especially in Tenerife and Gran Canaria the temperatures in the north will be lower than in the south during the winter months.
- Average high temperature: 22 °C
- Average low temperature: 15 °C
- Daily mean: 18.5 °C
Gran Canaria (Airport)
- Average high temperature: 21.2 °C
- Average low temperature: 15 °C
- Daily mean: 18.1 °C
- Average high temperature: 21.3 °C
- Average low temperature: 14.3 °C
- Daily mean: 17.8 °C
- Average high temperature: 21 °C
- Average low temperature: 14.8 °C
- Daily mean: 17.9 °C
As you can see, the values for temperatures around the archipelago in February are relatively similar between the most popular destinations in the Canary Islands.
Do keep in mind that especially in Tenerife, there can be a huge difference between the south and the north, as you have Mount Teide in the center of the island, which is the highest peak in Spain. So if the sun is what you're after, then in February the south of the island would be the safest choice.
If you want more info about the weather conditions, temperatures & sunshine hours in February, you can read the dedicated article for each island:
- Tenerife South - Average rainfall (mm): 20 mm
- Gran Canaria South - Average rainfall (mm): 24 mm
- Lanzarote - Average rainfall (mm): 18 mm
- Fuerteventura - Average rainfall (mm): 16 mm
Lanzarote and Fuerteventura tend to get less rain in winter, compared to the south of Tenerife and Gran Canaria. In Tenerife, you can expect more rain in the regions of Anaga, La Laguna, La Orotava, Garachico and Icod de Los Vinos.
- Tenerife South - Average sea temperature: 19.5°C
- Gran Canaria South - Average sea temperature: 19.1°C
- Lanzarote - Average sea temperature: 19.4°C
- Fuerteventura - Average sea temperature: 18.6°C
The water temperature will be lower in February compared to January.
Can you swim in the Canary Islands in February?
Honestly, it depends on how the weather is that year and where you are trying to swim.
In recent years we were able to go swimming often in February, but the temperature can be quite different in different parts of the islands. In general, if you know you really want to swim during your holiday, we would recommend booking a place with a heated swimming pool, as the weather in February can be quite unpredictable even in the Canary Islands.
Should you travel to the Canary Islands in February?
Yes, if you have realistic expectations.
The climate in the Canary Islands is not tropical, so don't expect weather similar to Thailand at this time of the year.
But compared to a tropical location the humidity is lower and the temperatures will usually stay around 25°C during the day, while they drop more at night.
Make sure to pack a jacket or at least a cardigan if you're planning to travel to the Canary Islands in February, as you might need it at night and even during the day if you plan to visit some places high in the mountains.
In February it can happen that you leave by car from the sunny south of Tenerife at 25°C and in a matter of 20 - 30 minutes the temperature can drop to 15°C or less if you drive up in the mountains. We once left from a hot Puerto de Santiago and drove towards Santiago del Teide, Tamaimo and El Tanque and the temperature dropped from 26°C to 11°C mid-way and then went back to around 18°C when we reached El Tanque. So yes, there can be significant differences in February between different places, so make sure to check the weather before deciding to do some exploring around the island, especially when traveling in winter.
- Best Villas and Apartments: we always use Airbnb for private rentals in the Canary Islands.
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Looking for a hotel? Booking.com is our top choice for hotel reservations.
- For tours and excursions, we recommend using Get Your Guide, since they offer free cancellation up to 24 h before the activity starts.