Best Things To Do in Telde, Gran Canaria
Telde is the second most populated city in Gran Canaria and it used to be the capital of the island before Las Palmas. The town is located in the southeast of the island, just 16 km south of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and very close to the island's airport.
[adUnit pos = "1"]
Telde (Gran Canaria)
- Population: 123,000 approx.
- Distance from Gran Canaria Airport: 11 km / 7 miles
- Distance from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria: 21 km / 13 miles
A bit about the history of Telde
The city was founded before 1351, so it's more than 650 years old and it was created by a papal decree given at that time.
Back in the days, the island of Gran Canaria used to be divided into two different kingdoms - Guanartematos - and Telde used to be the center of one of those kingdoms. When the Castillian conquest had concluded in 1483, a new town was basically erected and it was dedicated almost entirely to the agriculture and to the trade of sugar cane. These activities have transformed Telde in a prosperous town from an economical point of view and the city also become an important part of the island's social and cultural life.
Visit Telde today
A day trip to Telde is a must while in Gran Canaria if you want to get a real feel of the Canarian way of life. The city today is very young, with almost 60% of its population being around the age of 30. The total population of Telde is around 100.000 people.
The old town is still a nice place to visit and to take a walk through the old buildings full of history.
Telde has one of the largest monumental and cultural complexes in the Canaries, where the simplicity of the Mudejar style is harmoniously combined with all other architectural styles.
What to do in Telde: places to visit in town
- Church of Saint John the Baptist - The Church of San Juan Bautista is still at the heart and soul of the city and it's one of the places you have to see in Telde
- San Juan Municipal Library
- Casa Museo de Leon y Castillo
- Hospital Church of St. Peter Martyr of Verona
- Consistorial houses
- Plaza Alameda de San Juan Bautista
- San Juan Urban Park
- Mini Zoo of Santa Rosalia - a small park on the pedestrian street Licenciado Calderin. You will find here a nice playground for kids and some exotic animals, plus a great number of flora and plants specific to the Canaries.
Beaches near Telde
Although the town of Telde is not situated right on the oceanfront, it has easy access to several beaches, which are all within reach in a few minutes, especially if you have a rental car.
- Playa de Salinetas
- Playa de Melenara
- Playa del Hombre
- Playa Hoya del Pozo
- Playa de la Garita
- Playa de Aguadulce
Points of interest in the Municipality of Telde
Besides the town of Telde and the nearby beaches, there are still many more things to discover around the municipality, like:
- Bufadero de La Garita
- Barranco de los Cernicalos
- El Cortijo Club De Campo Golf
- Yacimiento de Cuatro Puertas
We absolutely recommend you to go and see the Bufadero de La Garita, which is a unique spot located on the coast, near Playa de La Garita.
There are plenty of things to do see in Telde, not only in town but also around the entire municipality, so if you're looking for new places to visit in Gran Canaria, this area could be a good base for a few days.
Fiestas, celebrations and events in Telde
In Spain, there's always something to celebrate and the town of Telde is no exception to this rule. Almost every month of the year brings on a religious ceremony, which is usually a reason for celebration and fiesta for the local people. If you want to learn more about the Canarian way of life and customs and tradition, then participating in one of their celebrations is a good place to start.
The first celebrations of the year are all about the carnival season. There lots of Carnivals in Gran Canaria, starting with the one in the capital, which is the biggest event. There is also a carnival in Telde, which is not as big as the one in the capital, but still fun to attend if you are staying in the area.
The month of June brings with it the celebrations of San Juan Bautista, the patron saint of Telde. These festivities are organized in the historical center, where the Church of San Juan Bautista is located and there's also the big square. These celebrations in honor of Saint John the Baptist marks the official start of summer in Telde.
In July there's the Fiesta in Honor of Nuestra Senora del Carmen, saint patron of the sailors. A nice maritime ceremony is usually organized on the beach Melenara.
One of the most popular of the traditional festivities is celebrated in August and it's known as La Fiesta de la Traida del Agua. It takes place in the area known as Lomo Magullo and it's been celebrated for over 30 years now.
In September in Telde is celebrated the Bajada del Santisimo Cristo, an image which dates back from the 16th century and is found in the church of San Juan Bautista. Read more about Bajada del Santisimo Cristo (information available only in Spanish), as Santo Cristo de Telde is highly regarded in all the Canary Islands.
October is the month when the people of Telde are celebrating the Fiestas of San Franciso de Asis. These celebrations are organized in the neighborhood of San Francisco.
In November Telde celebrates the Fiestas of San Gregoria Taumaturgo, which is also the patron of Telde and there's a big procession passing on the streets of the city. The image of San Gregorio is oriented towards the agricultural fields, in order to bring blessing to them and ensure the fertility of the land in the next year.
On the 8th of December there are the fiestas in honor of the Immaculate Conception organized in Jinamar.
- Best Apartments & Villas in Gran Canaria: Puerto Rico Villa with Private Pool (heated pool, private garden) • Maspalomas Resort Style Bungalow (modern, sunny garden)
- Popular Hotels in Gran Canaria: Radisson Blu Resort & Spa 5* (Puerto de Mogan) • Occidental Margaritas 4* (Playa del Ingles)
- Join Gran Canaria Forum on Facebook for more tips about the island.
- See our dedicated guide for the best places to stay in Gran Canaria.
- Best Tours & Excursions: From Puerto Rico: Dolphin Watching Cruise • Guided Buggy Tour