Gran Canaria Carnivals 2020 - Dates & Schedule
Gran Canaria is well known as a great place for partying, so during the Carnival season, the island is full of music, energy, and color. Everyone is invited to take part in the festivities and enjoy the free spirit of Gran Canaria!
Carnivals in Gran Canaria
If you're into partying all night long, then you should definitely considering visiting the island during carnival season.
In 2020 the main events will take place in the capital - Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Maspalomas, Mogan and Galdar. Several other towns in different municipalities also organize their own festivities: Ingenio, Aguimes, Telde, Teror, La Aldea.
If you're on the island during the carnival, no matter where in Gran Canaria you are staying, we definitely recommend you to participate in at least one of these events, as they are so much fun and you're on holiday after all...
2020 Carnival Dates in Gran Canaria
- LAS PALMAS: February 7 - March 1, 2020
- MASPALOMAS: March 5 - 15, 2020
- ARGUINEGUIN: March 13 - 22, 2020
- GALDAR: February 14 - 28, 2020
- AGUIMES: February 15 - March 8, 2020
- AGAETE: March 20 - 29, 2020
- TELDE: March 13 - 22, 2020
- LA ALDEA: February 21 - March 14, 2020
- TEROR: March 6 - 7, 2020
- ARUCAS: March 6 - 28, 2020
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Carnival 2020
- Dates for the Las Palmas Carnival: February 7th - March 1st, 2020
- The theme for the carnival is Once upon a time...
- You can read more on the page dedicated to the 2020 Las Palmas Carnival.
As usual, the main events are the big parade and the burial of the sardine, both of them celebrated in the last two days of the carnival.
In 2019 the parade for the carnival in Las Palmas went back to its original route and will leave again from La Isleta. The direction of the route for the parade was modified in 2013, a change that has been maintained until the 2018 edition. Starting with the 2019 carnival, an edition that was organized under the theme "One night in Rio", the queen, the murgas and the comparsas (groups of singers and dancers) began their journey on Juan Rejón street, from the area of Castillo de La Luz, and NOT at the confluence of León and Castillo street with the Plaza de la Feria.
Costa Mogan Carnival 2020
- Dates for the Mogan Carnival: 13 - 22 March 2020
- Celebrated in: Arguineguin
- This year the theme for the Carnaval in Costa Mogan has not been announced yet.
- More details in the dedicated page for the event.
Maspalomas Carnival 2020
- Dates for the Maspalomas Carnival: 5 - 15 March, 2020
- The theme will be Terror (El Teror) and you can read more about the program for the event in the dedicated page for the Carnival in Maspalomas 2020.
Galdar Carnival 2020
- Dates for the Galdar Carnival: 14 - 28 February 2020
- All the festivities will take place in Plaza de Santiago (Santiago Square)
- See more info in the page dedicated to this event
Aguimes Carnival 2020
- Dates for the Aguimes Carnival: 15 February - 8 March 2020
- More info is available on the dedicated page of the event.
Agaete Carnival 2020
- Dates for the Agaete Carnival: 20 - 29 March 2020
- More info available on the dedicated page for Agaete carnival.
Telde Carnival 2020
- Dates for the Telde Carnival: 13 - 22 March 2020
- The theme of the party is INDIA. Read more info in the dedicated page for carnaval de Telde.
La Aldea Carnival 2020
- Dates for the La Aldea de San Nicolas Carnival: February 21st - March 14th, 2020
- The theme of the carnival is One Thousand and One Nights
- More info about this carnival on the dedicated page
Teror Carnival 2020
- Dates for Las Carnestolendas in Teror: 6 - 7 March 2020
- The carnival theme is The Great Chinese Empire
- Friday, March 6th, 2020: Carnival Gala in Auditorio de Teror
- Saturday, March 7th, 2020: Family Carnival Day and Burning of the Sardine in Teror Old Town - from noon until late in the night there will be recreational activities, carnival playgrounds, the classic race on high heels, concerts, parade and the traditional Burning of the Sardine in the Plaza de Sintes.
Arucas Carnival 2020
- Dates: 6 - 28 March 2020
- The theme is: Una Arucas de Cuento - A Fairytale Arucas
- See the full schedule here (available only in Spanish)
All of the Canary Islands have their own celebration of the carnival, with the Carnival in Tenerife being the largest of them all and also the second-largest in the world (only after Rio de Janeiro). The people in Lanzarote and Fuerteventura will also be joining in the celebrations, as this is the carnival season in all the islands of the archipelago.